Deets of the Long Staff Match
Weapons Martial Arts
- The video is composed of stills shot at 1/20 of sec intervals with a Nikon Z9. What is documented is 0.7 seconds of the match. Each stutter in the video is a 20th of a second.
- This was a three way match between Master Mikel Steenrod, Mr. Jim Graham, and Mr. Beau Reilly as part of a class. Master Steenrod is off frame in this exchange and is lurking.
- This is from February of 2022. The snow has melted, and the ground is muddy and incredibly slippery. The participants are using step training specifically designed for poor terrain.
- Jim and Beau have a small parry exchange immediately before Jim (black coat) makes his big maneuver.
- Beau (down vest) takes a leg thrust at Jim, which Jim evades with a circle. He is also spotting the field to determine the position of Master Steenrod, and to see whether he is closing on them.
- Jim uses the circle to adopt a number 3 position (a sideways angle), and thrusts. Beau realizes the position change and attempts to deflect the thrust, but can’t. The thrust is too fast to catch photographically at 1/20th of a second, and we see only the end result with Beau receiving a thrust in the side.
- Still photo credits to Robin Silver Photography.